Atkins is a high natural fat diet!

3,126 views
| January 29, 2012 | 13 Replies
Print Friendly

The Optimal Diet is a variation of the clinically-proven Atkins-style diet – which includes eggs, meats and vegetables

If you are overweight, pre-diabetic or diabetic, or not running on eight cylinders, you may be a victim of carbohydrate poisoning! The most killing diseases facing us today – including obesity – are  a result of the overemphasis on carbohydrates. This can be corrected by grading and restricting carbohydrates – and emphasizing natural dietary fat and complete animal protein.

Food is our fuel. Much depends on what we choose to eat. How long and how well we live depends on how we “fuel” our brain, heart, hormones, kidneys, liver, lungs, skin and bones. Human cells, tissues, and organs function optimally if they are provided what they need when they need it.

It’s easy to argue that fat is the most important macronutrient. Our 70 trillion cells are protected by two layers of fat:  lipid bilayers. Along with protein and water, fat – much of it saturated – is what our bodies are made of. Though included in our diets, carbohydrates should be chosen carefully and restricted in order to keep blood sugar in a narrow healthy range.

For most people, carbohydrates should be restricted to about 60 grams daily, depending on any illness that may be present, or a consideration for a person’s environmental conditions. (A lumberjack will eat more than a tailor.) The body will more easily maintain itself and regenerate health if carbohydrates do not overwhelm hormone systems that keep blood sugar under tight optimum control.

Carbohydrates (carbs) are sugars by another name. Carbohydrates are abundant in fruits, vegetables and grains – in boxed cereals – and in all floury or sweet packaged products. Remember, in the gut, even healthy-sounding broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini turn into glucose (blood sugar). Our biological requirement for carbohydrates is:  Zero.

(Professor Joanne Slavin, University of Minnesota Nutrition School, Carbohydrate Chair, 2010 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, testified at Meeting One, Day One (October 2008) that humans have no biological requirement for carbohydrates.)

Some foods are a combination of the three macronutrients. As an example, milk contains fat, protein, and carbohydrate. There is protein in many foods (beans, corn, grains, mushrooms, peas, seeds and nuts) but only animal foods (chicken, cheese, eggs, fish, organ meat, pork, and red meat) provide complete high value protein. (Egg white is pure protein.)

The Optimal Diet emphasizes complete animal protein for the maintenance and regeneration of the body and high octane fats to provide energy for – among other things – the digestion and assimilation of protein. The Optimal Diet is not a high protein diet; it’s a high fat diet that offers strength and energy and it’s simple to follow.

The first meal of the day should include fat and protein – about 30 grams of protein before noon. Good quality eggs – 7 grams of protein each – provide high value protein and many other key nutrients (choline). If you eat a 3 or 4 egg omelet before noon, you may not be hungry until dinner. If you eat high value foods, you may not need to eat as much.

As our main fuel, we must choose between fats and carbohydrates. Emphasizing two fuels is a mistake. Our bodies react adversely to “mixing fuels.” Since fats are energy and nutrient dense – and don’t raise blood sugar – they will more fully provide satiety and satisfy the energy needs of the body.

(In the Optimal Diet, there is no need for routine snacking or eating more than two or three meals a day. Eating many small meals a day will result in the digestive organs getting no rest which can lead to a variety of digestive tract ailments.)

On the Optimal Diet, we will cut carbs – not calories. Depending on your circumstances, you can eat up to 3,000 or more calories a day but you will still burn fat. You can pretty much live on steak, chicken, and green salads. For breakfast you can eat as many eggs as you like – and bacon too. You can put full fat dressing on your salads and butter on your steak.

Our bodies evolved to run optimally on a diet emphasizing protein and natural fat, eggs, fish, and meat. We are suffering today because we are eating a diet dominated by carbohydrates; and a high percentage have been milled and refined.  The basis of the Optimal Diet is restricting the macronutrient (carbohydrate) associated with a metabolic disturbance that causes weight gain, hunger, diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome, and heart disease.

This diet can work for you. It’s easy to follow and you can eat as much as you want; you’ll never go hungry. Dietary abundance goes hand-in-hand with feeling on top of the world. If you need to, you’ll lose inches as well as pounds. When you burn fat as a fuel you are moving in the direction of health, stabilized blood sugar, lower triglycerides, increased HDL, and energy throughout the day.

Tags:

Category: Atkins Life

Comments (13)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

Sites That Link to this Post

1. The Optimal Diet « Hannah Chambers | June 13, 2012
  1. Joyce says:

Any chance you’ll also be on Facebook? I’m not a Twitterer but am interested in your plan.

2. david says:

great article. very clear explanation

3. Mohammad says:

You mention that we have to choose either carbs or fats and not to mix the two. Would a vege and high fat meal be a bad combination? Or is vege an exception to the rule? Furthermore you mentioned using full fat dressing on salads. Thanks in advance!
    Superb article!

4. Alan Watson says:

A veggie and higher fat diet is a good combination. it’s the sugars and grains that present high blood sugar and chronic high insulin conditions. Full fat dressing and butter on vegetables enhances mineral absorption. Also, low fat dressings = high sugar!

5. Andy says:

Interesting article, but two questions: When I use a low carb diet I find myself having an occasional “carb craving” (in my case it’s for a nice bowl of pasta). Is that a problem? Also, I hate (and that’s not a strong enough word) eggs! I’m not allergic (I can cook with them), but I simply cannot eat the things. Is there a substitute for breakfast to replace my large bowl of fruit or bowl of Cheerios?

6. Diane says:

If you start hanging around at low-carb sites (or get a cookbook with good reviews), you’ll find good substitutes or recipes. Some of my favorites are:

1. Link sausages (I like the Jones maple variety) instead of eggs, either with veggies or with a piece of buttered toast, depending on how low-carb I want to be… and don’t forget bacon! A few slices of bacon and an ounce of cheese should be enough protein.

2. Mock cream of wheat made with ricotta cheese, a little cream or water, toasted ground flax seed, a bit of sweetener and vanilla (you can almost make it up yourself, but here’s a recipe: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/132400-need-mock-cream-wheat-recipe.html …and no need for vanilla syrup, just use a little vanilla extract)

3. Low-carb pancakes or waffles made with ricotta, eggs, and ground flax: http://www.food.com/recipe/helens-high-protein-low-carb-pancakes-448497

4. Slices of ham and cheese, with any veggies you can face for breakfast (sliced tomatoes, grilled zucchini or peppers, sauteed mushrooms, spinach?)

5. Look for the “muffin in a minute” recipe, popular with low-carbers…here’s a fancier variation I just found: http://www.food.com/recipe/very-low-carb-pumpkin-muffin-in-a-minute-mim-462866

6. Even if you don’t like eggs, can you tolerate them as omelets when mixed with cheese and lots of veggies?

7. As many low-carb diet books say, think outside the box. Don’t limit yourself to “breakfast food,” but try foods you might eat at other meals. We limit ourselves in Western countries, in ways that most of the world doesn’t.

7. Diane says:

Oh, and don’t forget smoothies–you can find unsweetened or artificially sweetened protein powders (whey and egg protein are best; stay away from soy)–and mix with frozen berries, water, and a little cream, assuming you’re avoiding milk and juice.

8. Alan Watson says:

If you “hate eggs,” (1) purchase highest quality small producer eggs, usually brown. (2) fry them in the best butter or high quality lard. (3) Try eggs boiled, poached, with steamed spinach or make an omelet, quiche, etc. (4) spice up with red pepper, black pepper, garlic, onion, or Gomazio (sesame seeds and sea salt).

A low carb diet includes a varying amount of carbs, depending on your metabolism and insulin response. Dr. Atkins had a 3-4 egg omelet for breakfast; raspberries, blueberries and blackberries in heavy cream for lunch; and a full salad for dinner with fish, beef, lamb, chicken etc. Vegetables are healthy carbs; they should not induce carb cravings; that’s the stuff of sugar and grain

I personally love potatoes (evening meal) and fry them in lard or baked and smothered in butter and sour cream. We have a varying sensitivity to carbs but most of us can include them – up to 60-80 grams – in a healthy natural foods diet.

9. Nenet Susa says:

Hi Allan,
    I love your informative articles and tweets. Being a runner my whole life i found as i got older(40) i really found that i was controlling my weight through high milage which as Tim Noakes says is a indicator of a poor diet.
    Last year after reading about Tim Olson who recently won the western states 100 mile running race for the second time, and is a low carb athlete, i was intrigued by his eating. I then discovered dr. Phinney and Volak followed some athletes to record what they ate, but I’m still unable to find that study. This then led me to their book on lchf for endurance and eventually the new perspective Tim
    Noakes has adopted. Agter lots and lots of searching i discovered that mot only was this a method to improve performance but more importantly health.
    I feel like I’ve been fooled, years of avoiding fats, eating a traditional high carb runners diet, yet feeling worse as i got older, and somehow that leanness was disappearing. Then at the start of the year after tearing a hamstring tendon i went lchf. Well the result was amazing, no bloating, no more mid afternoon fatigue, controlled appetite and a return of my leanness without one bit of exercise. After 3 months of no running, my second run back was 2 hours. I attribute the diet, and the lightness i felt. I feel unbelievably great on this diet, and even though I’m not as fast as i was in my 20s i have so much more strength and endurance.
    As i said i love your site and keeping pushing your message as i do to all my patients and the results keep coming. I live in Australia and the noise we create will only get louder

10. Alan Watson says:

For energy – it’s carbs or fats; protein is the brick and mortar of our bodies. My argument is to go high fat – not high carb. (There is no biological requirement for carbohydrate.) Of course, for nutrition and variety, eat vegetables and fruit in season. Please keep in mind that the Atkins Diet includes vegetables – for most people up to 60 grams per day. Atkins’ final meal of the day included salad vegetables – and mine does to!

11. I am genuinely thankful to the owner of this website who has shared this impressive piece
    of writing at at this time.

12. a says:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book
    in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics
    to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog.
    A great read. I will certainly be back.